Yesterday I forced myself to go for a run. I say forced not because I don't like to run but because it was brisk outside and I am still not acclimated to the cold yet. I put on my LIFE Runner gear, flipped on my Christian music and set out to spend some time pounding the pavement, praying for the unborn and their families, and singing praises. Right away I felt good about the run, it would be a quick 30 minute 3 mile jog then back home, or so I thought.
As I made my way down my road I felt God tell me to take the canyon. I never jog the canyon because the hill is massive and really hard on my IT band but no big deal I would walk the canyon and jog the rest. I made it to the top checked my mileage and turned around to head back. As I jogged down the hill listening to beautiful music and talking to God I watch the most amazing scene in front of me. The canyon was in full fall splendor, the kind of view that makes you want to sit down in front of the fire sipping hot cocoa. It was beautiful, and for maybe the first time since we moved back over a year ago I thought, you know I could get used to the cold again. Right before my eyes these beautiful leaves began dancing across the sky, they seamed to just float and dance and it made my heart happy!
As I rounded the corner I noticed off in the distance that my neighbors miniature horse appeared to be loose grazing beyond their pasture. I stopped for a moment, honestly contemplated not making it my problem for about a split second and then turned around and went down their driveway to let them know. Well no one was home so I started walking around the road to get to the little guy and called his owner as I jogged on. She thanked me and said to just put him back in the pasture if I didn't mind, and of course I didn't mind. I called Ryan to meet me with a rope and I led him a short way by his mane until Ryan came. He was such a sweet little horse and I enjoyed my time walking him back. My 30 minute 3 mile jog had turned into a 1 hour 3.6 mile jog/walk/rescue. Not exactly what I had planned but I have no doubt that it was exactly what God had planned.
During the time that I was walking this little guy home my other neighbors drove by and knowing he wasn't mine saw that I was helping a neighbor while reading the bold words "Remember the unborn" on my back. I realized that for me I want my life to reflect my words. I don't just want to say I care for people and never show that in my life. I want my "fruits" to be good fruits. What better way to further God's kingdom then to be a good neighbor, after all aren't we all called to be good neighbors, to care for humanity and those around us. I hope I never become so complacent again that I can't see past my own self when someone around me needs help, even if that someone is a neighbors treasured pet. I don't share this story for recognition, but to show that even the little things that you do can impact others. You may never know the impact but its not for you to be rewarded, it is for the person that God wants to have blessed, and I don't want to ever deny someone a blessing that God has for them. Amazingly enough my interrupted run was a huge blessing for me!

No comments:
Post a Comment